Matcha is simply Green Tea from the Camelia sinensis plant. Our Sublime grade is an organic shade grown finely powdered grade from the Nishio region of Japan, a well recognized Matcha growing region. The finest green teas are shade-grown (to enhance chlorophyll content) and hand-picked, Only the top tier leaves are used . After the stems and veins have been removed, the leaves (aka Tencha) are carefully stone ground on artisanal granite mills to produce a very fine (5-10 microns) powder. This means you are consuming the entire leaf when drinking Matcha less the bitter stem and veins. Our Sublime grade Matcha is an excellent choice for a tasty and healthful drinking Matcha delivering a rich and delicate mouth appeal and flavour.
Matcha drinkers receive 100% of the benefits of the whole green tea leaf, enjoying and benefiting from its high levels of antioxidants (including the powerful EGCg), amino acids, vitamins, minerals (such as selenium, chromium, zinc, and magnesium), chlorophyll and fiber. Some studies have shown matcha to assist in reversing cancer and boosting metabolism.
There are many different grades of Matcha, ranging from ceremonial grade (most expensive and primarily used for tea ceremonies in Japan) to Ingredient/Food grade (more affordable as it is blended with older leaves, resulting in a stronger flavor).
Suggested Japanese Matcha tea preparation:
- Place appx 1/2-1 tsp of matcha into a small hand sifter over a teacup or bowl
- Sift the Matcha into the cup/bowl to avoid clumps from forming in the tea (optional, but strongly recommended)
- Add 2-3 oz. (less than 1/3rd of the cup/bowl) of heated water (~180F/80C)
- Using a bamboo whisk, whisk the tea briskly in an “m” or “w” motion. This whisking process aerates the tea, creating a nice frothy layer on the surface
- Gently rub the surface with the bamboo whisk to rid the froth of any large air bubbles.
- Add up to 6 oz. of hot water to taste (optional)
- To make a matcha latte, add some milk to taste (optional)
Come on into our store and talk to us about why this may be the black flavoured tea for you. We will give you a sample to see if any